Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Its Chilly... time for CHILI!!!!

HELLO friends!!!

well I have honestly not been up to a whole lot la
tely. Auditions are slim, and my toe is still bothering me.. hence I havent taken any class (dance). I have gone swimming which is just about the only thing that is keepin me going right now. I dont mean to rant, but it is so weird to go from constantly working working working to having nothing going on at all...at least I start my Personal Training course in two weeks!

Well the past few days have been yummy I suppose. On Saturday morning I woke up
 and made myself some yummy yummy oatmeal.. with SUNBUTTER IN IT! I always see my fellow bloggies posting oatmeal with peanutbutter in it and I decided that i was my turn!

I used a half cup of oatmeal, 1 tbs sunbutter, sprinkle of coconut, some vegan chocolate chips and sliced banana......SO YUMMY!!! and it held me over all day! 

i seriously wasnt hungry till much later, and I wanted something sweet ... I decided on a massive bowl of fruit! 
I piled this bad boy high with apple, mango,pear, kiwi, and some dried cranberries... it was absolutely divine and totally hit the spot


Yesterday my mom made an outrageous soup! Im not sure of the recipe... but how amazing does it look (it tasted wonderful... im not a great photographer though) 
We paired the soup with a beautiful salad topped with roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. (this white is cauliflower not cheese!)

Well since I haven't been doing much but sitting around (bah) I decided to cook today!!! I have been in the mood for thick soups... something that is warm and will raise my freezing body temp in this cold weather!!! I decided on CHILI!!!
Syn's Thick and Hearty vegan bean Chili
2 cans black beans
2 cans pinto beans
1 tbs olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1 large onion (chopped)
1 red bell peppper (chopped)
2 stalks celery chopped
1 sweet potato (chopped)
1 zucchini (chopped)
1-2 cups frozen corn
2 cans diced tomatoes (or crushed)
1/4 cup sucanat
2 tbs cili powder
1 tspn salt to taste (remember:less is always more!!!)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
1 squeezed lime
depending on how spicy you want it.. add cayenne pepper (i added way to much and had to add more beans to my chili so be careful!)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

(This makes a whole lot of chili my friends,,, if you dont want to store it half the recipe)

Drain beans
In a large pot, saute garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, sweet potato and zucchini in olive oil for approx 4 minutes. Add the drained beans, diced tomatoes (DONT DRAIN) and corn. Stir all together. Add the rest of the ingredients Accept cilantro.
Bring to a boil and continue to stir from time to time. 
Once the pot is brought to a consistent boil turn off the heat and cover.
Let the chili sit for an hour with a lid covering it. 
Stir in the cilantro and serve :)

its totally yummy but be careful about the cayenne pepper. 
If you make it too spicy try adding a can of refried beans or a can of pinto beans. It will even out the spice. You could also add some agave nectar but the beans should work.

Well those are my exciting eats for the past few days!

On an exciting note, Since the rockettes are owned by Cablevision, I get free cable!!! I never realized that I got this so i didnt send in for it last year, but they called yesterday to say that they are giving me a gold package free.. i have all of these awesome movie channels now!! WOOP WOOP!!

so right now... THE LAND BEFORE TIME IS ON!! remember that movie :) I like duckie the best he he


till next time <3

19 comments:

janelle said...

I love chili! And I love swimming!

Lauren said...

Great meals! That fruit looks so beautiful! And I LOVE CHILI! YUM!! Perfect for this cold weather!

Nicole said...

Chili! It looks GREAT!

Anonymous said...

That is one MEAN looking chili! I'll have to try it. I love ALL of your eats here, such yummy and nutritious looking food. Fruits and veggies galore! I need to remember to eat more soups to WARM UP. Somehow I just always forget about soup. I guess I like some chew to my food. Which is why I guess CHILI is a great way to go!

Land Before Time... haven't seen THAT one in a while. Aren't there like 10 different movies in the series or something crazy like that?!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh so that is the spicy chili you were talking about! Looks phenom! I also love the idea of sprinkling shredded coconut in oatmeal...might try that tomorrow.

I LOVE the Land Before Time...Cera was always my favorite but when I watched it more recently I wasn't sure why--she is kind of a biatch but I guess deep down inside she truly cared! hahaha...also I love the song at the end of the movie

OK I'm done!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Your mom's soup really does look outrageously yummy and comforting! And your chili looks SO perfect for these days, it's so cold and snowy.

YAY for free cable! Do you get Ovation? If you do (and you like Jane Austen and/or Pride and Prejudice) look up Lost in Austen, it's awesome!

Kelly said...

Oooh, now you've made me crave chili! :P Looks yummy!

Amy said...

Mmm chili! I had chili for dinner last night (umm minus the chili because I'm such a wimp), only it's a thousand degrees here at the moment. I was too lazy to cook though :P

Hope your toe feels better soon.

healthy ashley said...

I love all your food! I'm definitely borrowing this recipe- I love chili!

Anonymous said...

Your chili looks great. I'll have to try it. The addition of sweet potato is new for me. The fruit salad looks delish too.

Sorry if you get this post twice. Blogspot gave me an error.

Jess said...

Holy crap, I want that oatmeal!

Eric said...

Land Before Time....awesome!

I liked Petry (I think that's how its spelled). I love it when he first hatches and he asks "I flied?" and Ducky goes, "You falled".

Good memories :)

Becca said...

That is quite the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink chili! I'm definitely going to have to try it - chili is the only thing that keeps me going in the winter! :D

Anonymous said...

Your oatmeal looks delicious!!! I would love a big, colorful bowl of fruit right about now too.

Bianca said...

I am swooning over your oats. I think I'll have a big bowl like that breakfast tomorrow...is it sad that I'm already planning breakfast and I haven't even eaten dinner?

PB and Jess said...

Thanks for the comment and the warm welcome :) Your chili is making me really hungry! This is the perfect time of year for a nice big bowl!

The Purple Carrot said...

Hey : ) Glad you found me!!

Yummy eats ... oats, bowl of fruit, delicious looking chili ... doesn't get much better than all that!

Have a great weekend : )

Nicole said...

Hey there. And thanks for the comment!

You're over in Lindenhurst? Can I ask what personal training course you're doing?

Nicole said...

ooo awesome I may look into that.
I'm out in Islip now, grew up in West Islip though.

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle