Friday, May 30, 2008

SWEETS, TREATS, and EATS!




Well today was a long day. I had work at the music hall. When I have work I dont get to eat during the day. I'm on the train by 9:30, and then I get home around 5:30...and NO LUNCH BREAK!!!!! UGH!!!!
Usually I eat a nice breakfast, but I didnt get to today.... so when I got into penn station, i bought myself a smoothy from "Smoothy
 King" and a Flavor&Fiber bar. I'm usually hesitant on buying smoothies at "Smoothy King"...only because im SURE they dont use natural sugar. BOO... but sometimes you have to make due with what ya got!

After work I was anxious to get home...me, my mommy, my best friend Kellyn, and her mommy were going out to dinner!!!! I have known Kellyn since we were little... we danced together at our studio and were always attached at the hip! She in law school, and I was so busy with my stuff so we havent seen each other in so long.. it was nice to catch up...and especially because of where we went... "Tulas Kitchen!" 
Tulas is an organic restaurant that have lots of vegeterian and vegan options!!! I ordered a grilled veggie salad, and Teriakki sesame seitan with broccoli, carrots, and mashed sweet potatoes! IT WAS SOOOO GOOD!!! (i forgot my camera!!!! trust is was great!)

When I got home, I was CRAVING something SWEET!!! I 
have been eyeing a recipe on Fatfree Vegan Kitchen's blog--> Bananna Coffee cake!

I made LOTS of substitutions, so I'm going to post MY recipe.. but know that it is based on Susan's (I dont want to take credit for something I didn't create!)

Syn's Banana Cake...(RICE style)!

1 Tbs ground flax seeds
4 tbs warm water
1/4 cup Suconat  sugar (You can sub brown sugar, but suconat has a nice crunch to it)
1 tspn cinnamon
1/3 cup of RICE yogurt
1/3 cup of RICE milk
1 tpsn vanilla extract
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
1 large banana
1/2 cup of crushed DRIED bananas

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and oil cake pan (mine is 8in)

Mix ground flax seeds with warm water....set aside to thicken
Mix Sucanat sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl... set aside
Combine Rice yogurt, rice milk, vanilla, and agave nectar in a bowl...add in flax mixture

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the Rice mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the crushed Dried bananas (kind of like nuts or chocolate chips!) Pour half of the batter into the pan and spread to cover the bottom. Layer the sliced bananas on top of the mixture. Sprinkle HALF of the cinnamon sugar on top of the bananas. 
spread the remaining batter over the bananas and finish with sprinkling the last of the cinnamon sugar on top. 
Throw in the oven for 25 minutes (i did 26...haha) Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes...(it may be hard because of the beautiful smell engulfing your kitchen.. but restrain yourself...a burnt tounge is at risk (ok ok i admit... i suffered from impatience!) 
ENJOY!!!
(my camera is sucking right now and im not sure why... but everything seems blurry! oh well :(  you can get the idea!!)

NOTE: I added the dried bananas because i wanted a stronger banana flavor...and they did the trick!!! but they dont stay crunchy
ok well.... i have decided that im obsessed with baking!!! 

here is a link to susan's printer friendly version of her coffee cake




well....Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is AMAZING that you work at Radio City Music Hall!! I cannot begin to describe how jealous I am! Way to go girl!
And that cake, boy oh boy does that cake look amazing!! Anthony better hold on tight to you.

Anonymous said...

i've been wanting to try that recipe to. It looks delish!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! I think I might just have to bake today... :)

Just a heads up: Planning (another!) trip to NYC for Thanksgiving (family in Brooklyn--I go all the time!)...maybe our paths will cross! :D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sounds like you had a busy day; but work sounds so fun, with that location!! :0)

BRILLIANT banana cake recipe, Syn - yum!! Love the use of the dried bananas.

ChickPea said...

Hey! Just letting you know I changed the name and URL of my blog! Here's the new address:
http://broccolihut.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Syn...I do believe that at the Smoothie King in Penn you can get the smoothies made "skinny", which means they sub out the sugar. I used to get them all the time when I used to commute from LI every day (at 5:00am...barf). And, I happen to have a Smoothie King right around the corner from my place now. It was like having a little piece of NY here in VA.
That banana cake looks absolutely wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Mmm loving the looks of that banana cake. I like your idea of adding dried banana too to make it extra bananay!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Everyone's been tempting me with pictures of that banana coffee cake! I want some... but need to find time to make it!

Vegan_Noodle said...

YOur version sounds tasty!!

Glad you commented on my blog so I could discover yours!! I saw the Rockettes about a year and a half ago when they came to Houston. How cool that you are living your dream!! I'm adding you to my blogroll :-)

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle