Thursday, January 15, 2009

RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR


Ya know when you have one of those weekends? A weekend where you may have slipped and eaten some dairy... a weekend where you may have had oh i dont know 4  glasses of wine...Where you may have been celebrating your return home with your boyfriend and had two mojitos at dinner... yea that would be me.

After this weekend... i felt (as I can only describe) as contaminated. I really try to feed my body with healthy and clensed foods. I never drink, I dont eat dairy (or any animal products for that matter) but sometimes when I am out celebrating a special occasion, I will slip and allow myself to have some dairy or a drink (i know Im not the first "vegan" to do so, but I hate that I do once in a blue moon. After starting my week feeling gross, I decided to have
 a raw cleansing day. 

Whenever I do a raw day, I feel so so so so much better the following day. I feel more energized, less bloated, and I even feel like my 
sense of taste is heightened. 

Ok ill stop blabbing and fill you in on what I ate yesterday :)

For breakfast I woke up ready for some juicy fruit! Mango, sweet apple, banana and shredded coconut

I also squeezed some fresh 
orange juice with an old juicer that 
I stumbled upon



As a mid day snack I had a Syn-less (hehe i love them) Elphie (pistachio/coconut) bar
.

As usual on a raw food day I am pretty consistently hungry... I munched on some celery sticks and carrot before I broke down and made a "crunchy" salad.

It had Pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin
 seeds, pine nuts, tomatoes, celery, pickles, avocado, artichokes, and romaine lettuce...yum yum :)
SO...For Christmas, I got my mom a Champion Juicer... since I was gone when it arrived,

mom was waiting for me to get home to use it. Yesterday seemed like the perfect day to open it up and give it a try.
The first picture is during the juicing process.. the poop looking stuff coming out of the spout is the pulp.. the juice falls in the clear container. It was actually really fun :)
We made cucumber, apple, celery juice.  I wasnt a huge fan of it.. it was to vegetably (yea i made up a word) for me.. i like my juices to be sweet... but i cant wait to make a tropical blend!!

For a snack I had some  sliced banana drizzled with raw honey (i know eating honey isnt "vegan" but I love it and haven't given it up,.. but i rarely eat it so i guess its ok) 

 I also had some organic green tea



For dinner I was inspired by one of my favorite bloggers, Bianca from Vegan Crunk In her recent raw food day, she made spring rolls with cabbage. I LOVE spring rolls. But I didnt have any cabbage on hand, what I did have was rice paper.





I decided to make some home made vegan sushi! It is so easy and so amazingly great

Easy Spring roll sushi
what youll need
Rice paper
flat sheets of dried sea weed
avocado
carrots
cucumber
lettuce
sun dried tomatoes (optional)

soak rice paper (i fill a plate with water and drench the paper that way)
sheer carrots with a peeler
slice cucumber (extremely thin.. julienne if you will (not sure i spelt that right)
slice avocado thin
slice sun dried tomatoes into strips
take the hard end off of the lettuce and fold it in half

take rice paper and place seaweed on top. Lay each ingredient next to each other. and roll tightly. slice large roll into small servings and vuala.... SUSHI my friends SUSHI

I had some salad (my mom made an amazing tahini/kimchi dressing)  and a dehydrated cracker that her personal trainer makes from the recycled pulp form her juicer.

Well.. I will say that I woke up this morning feeling rejuvenated, refreshed, and excited for my puffins cereal :)

oh I almost forgot... last night while I was enjoying my raw vegan day
... mister Anthony came over and brought h
is own food...
ha ha Were so opposite...but hey thats probably why we work so well and probably why i love him so much :)


until tomorrow <3>

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love YOUR raw eats, haha ;-)

Great new blog layout!!

Anonymous said...

I love the new blog layout. I can totally relate to the "contaminated" feeling. I hope you are doing better. I really need to make some of your Elphie bars. They look sooo good.

Lauren said...

Haha, so funny about your boyfriend bringing his own food! ;)

Love the raw goodies! That juice sounds really good! I loved your breakfast with shreded coconut..yumm!

Like the new layout! :)

Anonymous said...

the sushi looks so good! whenever i do raw foods i find i eat all day long, but it does make you feel great!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Haha, is "the poop looking stuff" a technical term? :P

Your whole raw day looks fabulous, I'm so glad you're enjoying your time at home!

Lovlie said...

That sushi looks great! Your raw eats are awesome! And wow, your a stage performer! How exciting!
I also feel the same when eating a lot of raw, I feel refreshed the next day!

Joanna said...

i totally lost track of your blog!! i'm so glad i found it again.

i've been eating lots of raw foods, too. i love them. your juicer is a beast!!! i have one but it's not the best. i'd kill to have that much green juice in my house.

Jenn said...

I'm always impressed with everyone's raw days! Your juicer is pretty cool.
Ha Taco Bell. I believe the bean burrito without cheese is vegan...but I'm sure that's not what he's eating! :-)

Nicole said...

Homemade vegan sushi looks so good! Definitely something I will be making soon.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm wow, you sure make raw look amazing. My eating has been slightly less than stellar for the last little while. Maybe I should consider a raw day. I just don't know if I could do it though! But everything looks so fresh and delicious... most especially that juice, that DOES look fun.

And the Taco Bell meal is hilarious, what a perfect accompaniment to your raw food. ;)

Anonymous said...

oh wow, those rice paper rolls look amazing!

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle