Tuesday, May 27, 2008

BBQ MADNESS!!!!

I haven't blogged in a couple of days and I feel like I have SOOO much to catch up on!!!

Sunday was the first really warm day of MAY (oh rhymes!) my boyfriend and I decided to have a "Synthia and Anthony day"! These are my favorite kinds of days! Anthony loves to go fishing.. and I love to get tan... so we decided to go down to a great spot and do just that. I got to soak up some sun and finish my book (Jodi Picult's "Keeping Faith"... I recommend anything she writes by the way) and he had some Unsucessfull fishing... but still we had fun :) 

We had been planning to have a memorial day BBQ for about a week now... and finally it all came together! We did the food shopping and ordered a keg..yes a keg...(my guys friends persuaded me to get it...and they finished the whole thing hahah...)and got everything ready!!! 
As for food.. it was nothing but gross meats and mayo s
mothered potato salad... but I AM THE 
ONLY VEGAN around here so I had to give in and allow it hahah... I of course stocked up on my favorite veggies for the grill.. and of course bistro burgers :)

After we got home we had to clean my ENTIRE back yard. I actually have a rather large back yard, but my dogs have turned it into a dump! well actually not really, but the grass is kinda patchy and we havent fixed it up since last summer... long story short, we spent about 3 hours fixing it up.. and it actually looked awesome!!! I WAS PROUD :)

BY THEN WE WERE STARVINGGGGGG!!!! We ordered some quick chinese... I got steamed
veggies and brown rice














Well My BBQ was so much fun... I hadnt seen a lot of my friends from high school in a whi
le, so when they showed up it was nothing but smiles and hugs!
It was nothing crazy big... but definatly with good friends

Since we were at my house, I could demand anything I wanted :) And I demanded that A small corner be set aside for my vegan food (so that no grossness could contaminate it!)

Through out the day I had grilled asparagus, zuchinni, squash, pepper, and portobello mushrooms (which I forgot to take a picture of!!! but trust it was amazinggg)

next course was GRILLED PINEAPPLE!!!! IT was probably the most satisfyingly sweet thing i've had in a really long time.

I brushed it with a little vegetable oil (im talking a teaspoon) sliced it up, and threw it on the grill for about 4 min on each side... HOLY GOOD GOD IT WAS AMAZINGGGGGG

Next course... Grilled Bistro Burger, with thing whole wheat bread (threw that on the grill too) sprouts, lettuice, tomato, pickles, ketsup, and blue chips













The whole day was aweomse... we had a bon fire and everything!!!








So TODAY I had WORK.. BOOO... luckily I didnt drink last night and was fine and fresh to be smiley and answer rockette questions!!!

For lunch was a salad with lots of veggies...but DINNER is what im really excited about!!!

HERES THE STORY: When I first became vegan, I learned everything by searching all of your blogs! One of the first things i stumbled upon was "Roasted Root Veggies".

Now I know these are fairly simple to make... a little rosemary, salt, thyme.. an oven.. ya know the simple stuff... but it intimidated me for some reason! Maybe because I didnt know what a root vegetable was. Well now that I am VEGAN I was ready to conquer them!!!! and Conquer I DID!
I felt like just this wouldnt be enough for my ravenous tummy, so I cooked up a little side salad that i found in "Vegan Express" ( althought i made some substitutes)
(Although I LOVE Vegenomicon, Vegan Express still holds a dear place in my heart!)
OH PS>>>> I DISCOVERED IM NOT ALLERGIC TO PINE NUTS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!


Broccoli and Asparagus sesame salad
Two heads of Broccoli
As much Asparagus as you want
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup roasted pine nuts (I DISCOVERED IM NOT ALLERGIC TO THEM TODAY!! AYYAYA)
1/4 cup Sesame Ginger dressing

Sesame Ginger Dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
2 table spoons sesame oil
1/3 rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Toss all of your salad ingredients together...and 1/4 cup of the dressing in a large bowl and enjoy!!!!

Roasted root veggies (SO EASY)
Slice watever root veggies you want ( I used beets, sweet potato, carrots, and parsnip)
Slice them  about 1/3 inch thick...spray olive oil on them, sprinkle rosemary, salt, and thyme on them
cook at 400 degrees for about 35 min and VUALA!!!!

SO AFTER ALL OF THAT EXPLAINING>>> heres a picture of what my dinner looked like!!!
thats about all folks.. sorry for the long post!!!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww you are such a cute couple!!

Mm, all that grilling looks fabulous!! Who needs meat when you can grill PINEAPPLE?!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Aww, your "Synthia and Anthony day" sounds like it was quite fun!! Such a cute idea :0)

Thank goodness you're not allergic to pine nuts!! They're WONDERFUL in pasta dishes and for pesto sauces :0)

Anonymous said...

glad you had a great weekend! Good thing your not allergic to pine nuts. All of your dishes look delish :)

Ruby Red said...

It was definitely a good idea to demand that the vegan food at your barbecue got it's own separate little space...because at the salad bar at my work, people in their messy-ness are dropping cheese and tuna salad into the fruit and veggie items all the time. Ick, ick, ick.

Okay, you really have me craving some grilled pineapple now! I've never had it before, but you have convinced me that my life is not complete without trying it! Now I only need a grill.

Your din-din looks fabulous, especially the roasted root veggies. Beets and any orange veggies are the best!

Anonymous said...

Your pet love bird is too cute! He must be a lot of fun to have around.

Vegan Express is my favorite cookbook too. The recipes are simple and I like how the author suggests side dishes for each one. It makes meal planning much easier!

Grilled pineapple?! Oh yum.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like "Synthia and Anthony" day was a success! I love it when you get to plan time like that with the people you love :)
The roasted veggies look amazing! Yum :)

I responded to your comment on my blog, but I went to SUNY Buffalo, too!

Rural Vegan said...

For as much as I love pineapple, I've never tried grilling it before. It looks amazing, I need to try it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! :)

Bianca said...

I've never had grilled pineapple but that sounds and looks awesome! I'll have to try that soon! I'm so exited about grilling season!

Colleen said...

Hey! I'm vegan and go to Rollins with Christopher. He told me about your blog. I'm the only vegan I know besides my mom, so I know how you feel. Veganomicon is a great cookbook. I also like The Everyday Vegan. Vegan Freak is a great book as well, though not a cookbook. It made me feel better about being vegan.

Anonymous said...

MMM grilled pineapple. There are so many different fruits I want to try grilled, I think I may just have to designate a specific fruit grilling day for myself sometime soon and try them all out.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

"Synthia and Anthony day" aww you're so cute :o)

Yay for being bistro burger twins! Oh and I love the idea of grilled pineapple!

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle