Monday, May 12, 2008

Fudge, corn-cakes, and love :)

Well Hello There! Today was gloomy and rainy again! Where is the sun! Oh well... heres a bit of sunny information... IM GRADUATING COLLEGE ON FRIDAY!! Its been a long road, but well worth it. 

I started off at The University at Buffalo as a musical theatre major. I really loved it there, but after the director of t
he program left everything kind of was out of controll. No one really knew who was in charge. I didnt want to be there for a transitional period... and I really wanted to be in New York City, so I transferred to Marymount Manhattan College. I have liked it alright there. There is really no campus life, and I feel that I am somewhat detached from the school in general (I think it was a personal choice to sort of go to school, do my work, and not get too involved). And besides I was busy dancing at Broadway dance
 center, taking lots of voice lessons, and experiencing New York.( I was also spending time with my lo
cal friends and my boyfriend!) 
I was somewhat sad about leaving my University life at Buffalo, but I realize now I would have never become a Radio City Rockette if I hadn't taken the plunge.... all in all...I think everything happens for a reason, and I am happy with my life... AND BEING DONE WITH SCHOOL!!!!!!!

SO ANYWAY!!!
Yesterday for mothers day, I decided to make "Black Bean Brownies." After following the directions that I found online, I d
ecided to add some coconut, and some vegan chocolate chips....After letting them sit in the fridge over night (as instructed) I discovered that these things remind me of FUDGE!! Now.. I AM A CHOCOLATE ADDICT! And I LOVE FUDGE! It brings me back to when I was a kid. My family and I would go to Montauk
 point every summer. (It is the farthes east you can go on Long Island) In the little town there is an Amazing Fudge shoppe! These little treats reminded me of the chocolate coconut fudge that was always my favorite!!

So here it is!

Cho-COCO-Banana FUDGE!

1- 16 oz can of black beans (Rinsed)
1 Banana sliced
1 cup apple sauce
1 tspn vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 cup shredded coconut 

Blend beans, banana, applesauce and vanilla until REALLY smooth 
In a bowl combine Cocoa, flour, coconut, and the bean mixture and combine completely
Pour mixture into a greased pan (I us
ed paM, and my paN was 8X6)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Re
move from oven and let cool. THEN PLACE IN THE FRIDGE OVER NIGHT!

In the morning be prepared to enjoy an
 amazing treat! They have a really fudgey texture :)

SO! For dinner tonight I decided to try these corn cakes ive been hearing about...I was craving something fried and since thats not exactly in my diet right now, I decided to "PAM"                   fry these things!

SO HERES THE RECIPE!

YUMMY HASHBROWN CORN CAKES

1 large Sweet potato (Im talking LARGE so if its not huge then two small ones will do!)
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (It equals about 2 ears...you can use canned if ya want )
4 scallions finly chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup of flour (I used Whole wheat flour)
Salt and pepper to taste
(Toppings... I used Apple Sauce on one, Salsa on another, and ketchup on another!)

Peel potatoes and grate them into a large bowl. Add chopped bell pepper (Soak up exces
s moisture with a paper towel) In a bowl toss together the potato and pepper mixture, the corn, the scallions, the cumin, the flour, and salt and pepper to taste. In a non0stick skillet spray with pam and heat till HOT! Take 1/3 cup of the mixture and throw in the pan... cook till brown and then flip (about 4 minutes each side) Plate, add toppings, and ENJOY!

  

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yeah, the weather was horrid here today as well :0( But hey, the fact that you're graduating college on Friday should DEFINITELY cheer you up!! How exciting!!

Oh my, that Cho-Coco-Banana Fudge sounds/looks absolutely SENSATIONAL!!!!! Yum!

Bianca said...

Congrats! I always wanted to be a musical theatre major, but I can't act or sing...all my friends in college were theatre majors but me....sigh...I ended up with a photojournalism degree...

BTW, I just noticed your comment on my blog about the raw food detox...I only do it for one day a month, on the first Monday. I'm sure the longer you do it, the better, but I'm really a big cooked foods fan...so I can't last too long.

And I have got to try those brownies! I keep hearing about black bean brownies, but I've never tried them.

Catherine Weber said...

I hate to admit it, but I'm a little bit scared of the black bean brownies! I've seen them on other people's blogs, and I just can't believe they don't taste like black beans!!! Ack.

Your sweet potato cakes look delicious, though!! What a fun thing to experiment with.

I was reading your post below about why you went vegan -- soy and nut allergies!??!? That's rough. (You must eat a LOT of beans! I do love beans, though!)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I saw your comment on my blog - I just finished my freshman year at John Carroll University :0)

Rose said...

I love black bean brownies! I just had one for breakfast today and it was so good :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! That’s so exciting :o). We’re sooo alike in that I transferred colleges too (I still have one more year left)… and my family used to go to Montauk too! What part did/does your family go to? We always went camping on the beach, at a place called Hither Hills. Maybe we were even in Montauk at the same time and didn’t know it!
Oh, and of course I share your addiction to chocolate. I don’t know of any Chocoholics Anonymous meetings we could join, but I don’t want to give up the addiction anyway ;o).

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle