Thursday, May 22, 2008

When your not HUNGRY.. WHY NOT BAKE!?!?

Last night was a... LONG night to say the least. I dont drink, but my friends certainly do! I must say that I have the most amazing friends. Theyre hysterical. We are all so close... I'm really lucky.
Last night was Shawn's birthday. He is my best guy friend (well one of three) and we all went out to the bar. It's a new bar thats actually really layed back.. BUT HUGE! we all love it.. and apparently so does the rest of Holy Trinity Alumni! (thats where I went to HS) I saw people I havent seen in FOREVER! At first I wasnt feelin it. A lot of the time when I see people like that I just would rather not have a "fake" conversation ("how was school... what are you doing now...hows dance... YOUR VEGAN? etc etc etc).. but I ended up having a really great time!
That really great time turned into me getting home at around 3 in the morning.. when I had to wake up around 6:30... UGH!

When I'm really really tired, I dont get hungry. Actually.. lack of sleep makes me feel neasious. So today I wasnt very hungry. I skipped breakfast! (which I NEVER EVER DO) But for lunch I went to Whole foods. I didnt have my camera, but I have to tell you all... I made the MOST AMAZING SALAD!!! It was Mixed field greens, Crunchy sprout salad, edamame with brown rice, and some texturized vegetable protein...all mixed together in one of Whole Foods famous brown boxes! I WAS A HAPPY GIRL!

After the gym I was craving fruit. I actually ate so much of it that it spoiled any desire for a "real" dinner... But I really wanted to post something fun today! So what did I opt for???? BAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I mentioned in my last post, I just received "Vegenomicon". At first glance I was rather intimidated. Its got SO many recipes that I almost have no idea where to start..Then I thought...

"Synthia.. pull yourself together! You are part of the Blog World now! You cant be scared of vegan yummies.. YOU MUST EMBRACE THEM!" 

And EMBRACE them I DID!!!! I WRAPED MY ARMS AROUND AN AMAZING BATCH OF OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES!!!!!!!

Once I cracked open my pantry, I realized that "OH CRAP" I'm Missing Ingredients! "Ok I thought... calm down... take a breath.. and THINK LIKE A BLOGGER!"  Lots of my fellow Bloggers are WONDERFUL at sustituting, or changing recipes.. SO THATS WHAT I DID!!! And i must say.. they came out pretty great!!!

Heres MY new (not sure improved, but wonderfully yummy) 
OATMEAL RAISIN/CRAISIN COOKIES!

1/2 cup Canola oil
1/3 cup Maple Syrup 
1/3 cup Rice Milk
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 1/3 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup mixture of raisins and Dried Cranberries (ORGANIC OF COURSE!)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine milk, vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar and oil. mix completely. Add in Flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until a dough begins to form....then stir in Oats and dried fruit.

I made pretty big cookies...so I took about 1 tablespoon of mixture for my cookies. Bake for 10-12 min...(I did 11 hehe)

Take them out of the oven...enjoy the aroma of your
 kitchen...wait about 5 min...and bite into a little piece of oatmeal heaven!!!

Well...once they were done.. for some reason...I had my appetite back...but who am I to deny an appetite??? Who am I to deny myself 3 cookies.. EEK!!!!!
(Great for the soul.. not so much for the waste line :)

LOVE AND COOKIES 
-Syn*

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you had a fun night :). I usually say the same thing to myself when i'm having a baking dilemia haha! I think i'll try your recipe, plus i like craisins alot better away!

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than the smell of baking cookies to bring back that appetite!!

You're going to LOVE Veganomicon. I was so intimidated too, but I started cooking right away from it. It's so ridiculously easy to follow, it's fabulous.

Anonymous said...

did you watch the premiere?

Alicia said...

I'm always hungry for cookies!

Anonymous said...

You are going to absolutely love Veganomicon! It is practically my lifeline right now. I've learned so many new flavor combos from it.

Thanks for visiting my site! To answer your question, Celiac is an autoimmune disease that attacks gluten as an enemy. Gluten is in wheat, barley, rye and (some) oats, so those need to be eliminated from my diet, as that is the only treatment. You can read much more about it on my blog!

Alicia said...

Of course you can add me to your blogroll... I've added you too!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Sounds like you had a long (but enjoyable!!) night out with your friends!!

I'm the same way, when I don't have an appetite (which is QUITE often, unfortunately), I get the urge to bake - that usually helps provoke SOME appetite in me ;0)

LOVE your oatmeal cookie recipe! YuM!

Rural Vegan said...

Oatmeal raisin cookies are my absolute favorite! Yum!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Well YOU might not be hungry, but now I certainly am. So if you don't mind, can you pass those cookies along to me? Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Heyy! Guess what?
You've been tagged! Check out my blog for details.

Anonymous said...

o.O Those cookies look amazing:]

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle