Sunday, May 4, 2008

REHEARSALS AND...PAELLA????

Well.. TODAY WAS LONG! We had rehearsal for our Showcase from 10-6... although it was long it went really well.. IM EXCITED! my song is good and i feel really comfortable with it...im singing "Show Off" from Drowsy Chaperone. I cant wait to graduate and start pounding the pavement (industry term for GETTING TO EVERY DANM AUDITION I CAN!)

TOMORROW is my ROCKETTE AUDITION!!!! Im really nervous..
 but hey they hired me last year so hopefully They ask me back. I felt really good about my work last season.. i worked my ass off and my directors and captains saw results. It was totally worth it.. it was the most amazing experience of my life.

After rehearsal today I got home and was STARVING! I decided to make somet
hing from my Vegan Express Cook book. I was craving something with rice...and then I stumbled upon Vegan PAELLA. Paella is traditionally a spanish dish made with lots of different types of vegetables, rice, and seafood (scallops, shrimp, clams, muscles, etc)
BUT THATS TOTALLY NOT VEGAN!!!!

Heres the VEGAN recipe....I had to substitute some of the things in the "real" recipe.. but it ended up being AMAZING! It was soooo tasty...defiantly a new favorite.

VEGAN PAELLA
(makes about 6 servings)
NOTE: I made a lot of this because i made it for my family...and we had left overs.. you can totally half the recipe if your only cooking for yourself...you can add as little or as many vege's as you want!!

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 green zucchini sliced (cut down the middle and then cut into half circles)
1 red pepper chopped
2 cups diced tomatoes
one 15 ounce can of vegetable broth (I used vegetable stock but its all the same..if you have a box of stock...fill a 15 oz can with the stock for measurements)
6 servings of brown rice
1 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
one 14 oz can of artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cup of frozen corn (thawed)
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
salt and pepper to taste
OPTIONAL add some kamut pasta (i used kamut abc's! theyre sooo tiny... you could take a whole wheat penne..cook it and then chop small.. it just adds bulk :) 

--Start cooking the rice.. it takes about 30 min!
--Heat the oil in a LARGE pan. Add Garlic and Onion... cook until translucent, about 5 min
--Add pepper, and zucchini...cook until soft
--add tomatoes, broth, rice, tumeric, thyme and 1 cup of water and mix. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
--Stir in the artichoke hearts, corn, parsley...mix again!
--Cook until everything is cooked through
--add in optional pasta or kamut
MIX AROUND AND ENJOY!!!

this is sosososo good... everyone should try it


Im discovering that I dont suck as bad at cooking as I though i did! Im actually enjoying it. Its really fun to try all of the different recipes that i've found online and in cook books.

For those of you who havent bought a book yet (I just bought my first one the other day) try searching vegan or vegeterian (if you havent taken the plunge) blogs! This is how i discovered so many great options and recepies. Its also nice to realize that your not the only "crazy vegan" on this planet! 

OK TIME TO RELAX...LOTS OF KICKING TOMORROW!!! WISH ME LUCK!




3 comments:

Ruby Red said...

good luck on your rockette auditions! it is so cool to "meet" a vegan performer. i used to be really into theatre and i am always playing with the idea of getting back into it.

this post makes me want to try kamut! (and i think i need to look into vegan express, too...)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

My seitan was kinda spongy this time. The first time I made it, it was awful—soooo chewy you couldn’t even chew it (if that makes sense).

Aww, the puppy bonanza sounds like so much fun :o). I hope lots and lots of animals get adopted! (Haha I looove to go to adopt-a-pet days and just play with the animals, since I know I can’t get another one either.)

Good luck on your audition!

And thanks for the yummy-looking paella recipe. I've only had vegan paella once-- in a restaurant-- but I loved it, so now I want to make it again.

Amy said...

Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's always nice to meet someone else who's soy free :)

Good luck with your rockette audition!

Mmm that paella looks yummy. I haven't made paella yet.

A Vegan on STAGE

Navigating my way through a Vegan lifestyle